Monday, March 17, 2008

Writing a sentence I love

I am not a brilliant writer and since you are reading this blog, you already know that. But every once in a while I will write something __ a sentence or perhaps as much as a paragraph __ that I love.

I will read it over and over again. Long after I have moved on in whatever I am writing, I will go back and read it again just for the enjoyment it brings. It doesn't have to be monumental or insightful. But it will have the right words in the right way. It will express exactly the idea, thought, feeling or emotion I had in mind.

But unfortunately, I only do that in about 1 in 10,000 sentences I write. In other words, it's rare.
It's not that I don't like what I write. I do very much like what I write. It's just that I rarely achieve a sentence that I love.

However, I did it about a week ago. There is a sentence I love. Really love. Again, it is not monumental or particularly insightful. But I love it all the same. I am not going into the comtext but here is the sentence . . .

Life was no easier for the modern-day inhabitants of the houses than it had been for those generations earlier, except now they could watch their betters on stolen large screen TVs hooked up to illegal cable.

There you have it. It may not seem like much to you but it is exactly how I viewed the people in the houses from inside my head.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: