Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Writers conference

There is a writers conference going on this week in Louisville, which is a mere two hours away by car, and I was considering last week about attending for one day this coming Saturday. On the day I thought of attending, there will be a panel discussion by a group of agents and book publishers on the industry, and pitch sessions are also planned. Both interested me.

But I was unsure __ fearful, really __ about attending. So I called a local bookseller whom I know and truly trust and asked his opinion, particularly about attending a pitch session.

He said first, I must be sure that there is an agent attending who is interested in the type of novel I have written. Check to that.

Then he asked had I ever been to a pitch session and I said no. He hesitated but it was clear he thought this was problematic. Eventually, he said if I have never been and have never practiced or prepared for a pitch sessio, there probablyisn't enough time for me to prepare for it between now and Saturday.

So I decided not to go.

There is so much I don't know about publishing but I am learning a bit at a time. This guy said I shouldn't worry about missing this conference. There are tons of conferences, including some close by. Another will come and probably sooner than I'd think.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: