Saturday, March 3, 2012

Smash -- a new show on television

I discovered a new show on television this week. It's called SMASH and airs on NBC, I think on Monday nights. I remember seeing lots of ads for it several weeks ago before its premiere but I missed seeing it and the show fell out of my mind. And I don't remember seeing any ads for it recently.

But my daughter was watching in On Demand one morning this week as I was passing through the family room and I sat down for a moment and was quickly hooked.

That is what good writing and an interesting story can do.

There were several storylines introduced in the first episode -- I think four episodes have aired so far. At least that is how many I have now watched -- but they didn't seem crowded. The characters were interesting, though not always likeable, and the plots and sub-plots were believeable and fun. The writing was crisp and enjoyable. And the songs, both lyrics and music, were wonderful.

(Made me wish I had studied drama when I first went to college, which what I wanted to do in the first place. But I ultimately studied history, which, fortunately, I do love. But being on stage would have been wonderful, too.)

I really enjoy this show and plan catch it at its original time next week. And despite the great performances, it is the writing that pulls me it. It is so good, I rarely venture outside the universe the writers have created. It is crisp, which I said before, and moves at a good pace so that the viewer never gets bored. That is a real gift -- it put everything needed in a scene into that scene without extraneous material. It was well done.

Good writing always inspires me to work harder. It may not lead me to getting published any sooner but it truly doesn't hurt.

Gotta run. I'm reading through AN UNTIDY AFFAIR once more before I submit it to a contest. But in the meantime, thanks for reading.

No comments: