Friday, March 23, 2012

Music

Not much to say today. It's been raining and I have been inside most of the day attending to some freelance work. (I did take my mom to a viewing of a woman who attended my mom's church. We mostly got in, signed the book, sat for a few minutes and got out, though I did say a few words to the poor woman's grieving husband.)

Since it has been gloomy outside all day and I didn't have any sunlight through the window to brighten my day, playing music while I work has been very important. I have been going between One of a Kind, a CD by Dave Grusin, and a recording of The Planets by Gustav Holst, with two selections by John Williams tacked on at the end.

I am especially fond of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter on Grusin's CD. It is probably my favorite music. It lifts my spirits when I am happy or, if I'm sad, leaves me feeling melancholy. It's such a great melody for either end of my emotional scale. (I also love the book of the same name, which was made into a film with that name in 1967. Grusin wrote music for the film.)

The Planets is a seven-movement composition and perhaps the Brit's most famous work. I particularly like Jupiter: the Bringer of Jollity, and Neptune: the Mystic. But it is one of the two pieces tacked on at the end of the CD that I listen to the most. It is a full orchestral suite for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It is great, uplifting music that I can play in the background as company and that I can enjoy without it distracting me.

So, what do you listen to when you write? Whatever it is, keep listening to it and keep writing.

Thanks for reading and don't give up.

No comments: