Monday, February 27, 2012

Researching Hoosier Hysteria

The Speed City chapter of Sisters in Crime held its February meeting last Saturday at the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame, which spotlights the highs and lows of high school basketball in the state. It was wonderful trip to New Castle, where the hall and museum are located, not the least of which being because it was such a beautiful sunny day for the 45-minute drive.

The decision for visit and tour the hall was mostly to help people generate ideas for Speed City's next anthology is about Indiana basketball. It was certainly beneficial to me. During the hourlong tour, I took two pages of notes on everything from famed coaches -- the late John Wooden, a Hoosier native, played at Purdue and coached high school ball in South Bend before heading out west -- to famous players, like Larry Bird.

But my story for the anthology centers around girls playing high school basketball. While there were no rules against girls trying out for high school basketball teams, which only had boys, there were no girl teams in inter-school play. Only beginning in the 1950s and picking up stream in the follwing decade did schools begin to develop teams for both boys and girls. There wasn't a girls high school basketball championship until the mid-1970s.

The story I have planned is coming along well, particularly because of the research I was able to do in New Castle. Plus I am developing further questions for the guide, who gave me is business card and encouraged me to call back if I had needed additional information.

While I try to do as little research as possible -- I always remember: "Write what you know." -- some research is always needed no matter what you write about. And I enjoy having as much information on hand as possible even if I don't even use it.

On another note, attended a big Oscar Night Party downtown last night. It is a fundraiser for the local United Way and is always a lot of fun. I attend most years. (The food is usually outstanding.)

And I was so pleased to see Woody Allen win for best original screenplay for "Midnight in Paris," which I saw for the first time last Friday night. (I knew he didn't stand a chance for the best director nod.) I loved the film and the writing was incredible, as you would expect from Allen. He remains my favorite film writer. He is witty and urbane but less neurotic than he was as a young man. When I want to see neurotic, I pop "Sleeper" in the player. It's my favorite of his "early funny films."

Anyway, that's all this aspiring novelist has to say at the moment, except thanks for reading and don't give up.

No comments: