Saturday, April 24, 2010

Query news

No, this isn't to tell you I have a very good, positive query response. Actually, I hesitated writing this blog because in my last posting I was about to send out another letter -- one to the top agent I hoped to attract. And in the end of the blog, I indicated I might wait another day. I admitted to being gun shy.

The ballsy thing to do was send the letter. But, I waited. So file a lawsuit!

Actually, however, it was a good thing. At least I believe it was. As I stated before, I have poured over every word of my query letter numerous times. It was a good as it could get.

Or so I thought.

That night, I was daydreaming about being interviewed in Philadelphia about my novel, AN UNTIDY AFFAIR, and the first question the interviewer asked was why I picked the MOVE confrontation to write about. In my daydream response, I clarified that MOVE was an important element of the novel but not a crucial element. I used the May 13, 1985, MOVE bombing and fire as a backdrop for telling a murder story. I could have used a different incident in a different place and, with a few changes, had the same story. The most important contribution of using MOVE was that it established both time and place -- May 1985 in Philadelphia.
Then it occurred to me, I don't use the dramatic elements of MOVE very well or high enough in my query letter. So, that's why I re-wrote the letter and I truly do think it is stronger. It's a grabber at the top.

What do you think:
It wasn't a typical Monday for struggling private eye David Blaise. He got two, new important cases to solve and Philadelphia was burning to the ground.

That is a strong start. At least it should attract attention and get someone -- a potential agent -- to read on.

A query letter is about sales and marketing, which is often difficult for authors. Our focus is on the creative. But to be successful, you need a strong business sense because that is what is required for the job.

I'm glad I waited one additional night. Now, come Monday morning when the next round of letters goes out, I will feel confident that I am setting the world on fire, figuratively, of course.

Thanks for reading. And keep writing.

No comments: