Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is she white?

I got a funny and surprising question last Saturday from the members of my critique group, all of whom, it turns out, are middle-aged white women. Someone asked me if a particular character in my current novel, AN UNTIDY AFFAIR, is white. The character's name is Samantha and she is the secretary/clerical assistant to my protagonist David Blaise, and a former Ho (a.k.a. Baby Cakes). What was so surprising to me is that everyone in the group was wondering the same thing.

Writing fiction to me is like having a long, elaborate daydream and writing it all down. I see each character in my head as I write them in each scene. I describe who they are and how they look and try to demonstrate things about their character by the actions I also describe.

Samantha is a fun but minor character. I give her something to do in this novel but plan to show more of who she is in my next David Blaise novel, which will be a prequel. I know what Samantha looks like and I thought I described her well, including mentioning something about her race.

But looking back through the text I now realize that I don't clearly state her race. It is vague, which is what prompted the question. I also found another character, also a woman, about whom I don't provide a firm indication of race.

I like my critique group and I take their suggestions seriously and, in return, I make serious suggestions when it is my turn to discuss someone else's work. I don't always use the suggestions I get -- nor do I expect someone to always take my suggestions -- but I have learned to rely on their objective judgments.

I know what race Samantha is and can clarify the point with just one sentence in the text, and probably with even less than a sentence. But it is the collective judgment of the group that I do nothing. I should leave it as it is and allow the reader to decide, if they wish.

Samantha's race doesn't play a role in the story. It only provides some detail about her. So is it necessary to state which race she is. No, I don't think it is.

For now, I am leaving it the way it is. But what do you think?

You can leave comments here or on my Facebook page.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

2 comments:

Ginger56 said...

Wow, that IS interesting. It seems to me we need more ambiguities about characters' race. Did your group members have opinions about the character's race? If so what did they base it on, I wonder?

MB Dabney said...

Actually, Ginny, to a person they all thought she was white.
I will send you the passage. It is a bit of backstory in the novel.
Thanks for reading and commenting. It's good to know someone is noticing.