Thursday, August 20, 2009

Some helpful advice

I went to an author talk and book-signing this evening to hear a totally delightful author named Julie Kramer. She has two books out in a series -- STALKING SUSAN and MISSING MARK. And, like me, she is a journalist. She done quite well for herself, having gotten great reviews for her first book, published last year, and is now out promoting the second, published this summer.

I bought her first book, of course, and had it signed. And I plan to purchase the second book after I finish reading the first.

I asked a lot of questions afterwards and would have stayed to ask more except that the store was closing up shop. But she gave me a couple of very good pieces of advice -- one which I knew (and hadn't yet totally taken to heart) and one which is new to me and will probably prove to be very helpful.

The first is to be able to describe your novel in a single sentence. I know that but I have a hard time coming up with a single thought to express the entire work. Julie, who didn't outline her first novel ahead of time but did outline the second (mostly, apparently, because the editor insisted), came up with a single line for her novel BEFORE she wrote the manuscript and before she even knew who the killer was. I didn't do that.

In fact, now that I think of it, I don't even write the headline for my stories until after I have written it. I have a hard time thinking of my writing in such a simple, direct way. However, I do know I will have a hard time getting someone interested in my work without that simple, direct statement.

I came up with something back in March -- actually, my wife, the marketing diva, came up with it back in March -- and I am going to revisit that, re-familiarize myself with it and go forward with it to see how it works.

I gave Julie my card, which I'm sure she will promptly lose, and told her I will see her at Bouchercon in October and would have a sentence for her by then.

The other piece of advice was new to me but was also excellent. She said read the debut novel of my favorite successful authors to focus on why their characters intrigued me. What wonderful advice. My favorite novel is TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY. And while it was not John Le Carre's first novel, it was the first in a series. And I love the way he developed interesting characters that I cared about. It is very character-driven and, if he were trying to get his first novel published today, would probably have a hard because there is so much backstory and so little action. But it is still an excellent book. I read it every 18 months to two years or so.

And I have looked at Janet Evanovich's first Stephanie Plum novel. It is in first person and I write in third but there is something urgent about the way she introduces characters and plot quickly, even before you are totally aware of it.

I will have to give the entire idea of reading deovels some thought and, perhaps, will let you know how it goes.

Talking to a successful novelist has its ups and downs. The downside, of course, is the question of why I haven't made that jump yet. There is a certain envy going on there. But the upside is that someone has made it and so there is no reason to think I can't.

So I will stay positive and keep working. And so should you.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: