Thursday, August 13, 2009

Persistence

Reading Donald Maass is quite informative, and somewhat depressing. His book, WRITING THE BREAKOUT NOVEL, doesn't pull any punches. And frankly, it shouldn't. But that doesn't mean it is any easier to take.


Regardless of all the practical information -- and there is a lot -- the one overriding impression I have gotten so far is that you must be persistent -- persistent in working to improve your craft, persistent is advancing your craft and persistent in promoting your craft.

I wish there was a shortcut for that. But, of course, there isn't.

And in the end, persistence is the reason I started this blog and is the one piece of advice I want to continually offer to any readers who happen upon my postings, as well as to myself.

So thanks again, Donald Maass. Perhaps I will have the chance to thank you in person in October at Bouchercon in Indianapolis (and maybe have you sign my book).

Thanks for reading and don't give up on writing.

No comments: