Thursday, October 2, 2008

When it's time to give up on something you've written

I was reading a blog I recently discovered and one of the topics it covered in the last couple of days was when is it time to give up on something you have written. That particularly comes to mind for me because my first book, "Fighting Chaos," is just sitting on the proverbial shelf.

In the end, the blogger said it's a difficult question and it's hard to know. However, he offered some insight.

Since I finished Chaos last December, I have grown a lot as a writer and my craft has significantly developed. Now as I look back at the novel, I have a better understanding of why it will never sell in its current form. The story is still good, I think, but the pacing is all off, there is too much backstory in too great of detail, some of the characters are wooden and stiff, and the plot doesn't propel the reader forward.

In the end, it reads like it was written by a novice, which, as it turns out, was the case.

But I am still very attached to the story. It is quite personal to me. Should I give up the ghost and drop it forever? I don't think so. I have chalked up the experience and moved on but there is still something interesting to tell in the story.

So, what do I do? Well, for now, I leave it where it is. In time, and when I have the time, I hope to get back to it. When I am stronger in my creaft, have a better understanding of the market and insight into upcoming trends, I hope to get back to the story. That, unfortunately, could -- and probably will -- take years. But the novel is on the shelf and isn't going anywhere, so why worry.

The blogger quoted (although didn't name) a famous writer, who said, "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."

That's not the case with Chaos. It no longer is just inside me. I would like for it to be read but, for the moment, that isn't going to be the case. But it is not an 'untold story.'

Now, on to the next . . .

Thanks for reading and don't give up on writing.

No comments: