Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Contractions

Some time ago, a fellow writer said I should use more contractions, particularly inside of quotes. She said it reads better.

Being that I greatly respect her opinions (although I don't always agree with them or always follow them) I decided to give the issue some thought. And I think she is right. Use of contractions, particularly in quotes, moves my story along.

But do I use them with nouns, either regular or proper? I decided that I do. There is nothing wrong with saying Mike's a great guy. It reads better than Mike is a great guy. (I am, by the way.) And I don't think there is a rule against it.

In the end, it is best to know a rule before you break it. In this case, there isn't a rule that applies. So, go with what feels best.

Sorry this is sort a short entry but that is all I have at the moment, other than my usual "Thanks for reading and keep writing."

No comments: