Thursday, July 17, 2008

Research

My next novel will require much more research than the other two novels I have written. And while I have always said you should write what you know, this is something for which I am familiar but for which I don't have extensive knowledge.

So I am going to Philadelphia over the weekend to begin some on-site research. I have already started researching material online but being on-the-ground should be quite helpful.

As I think I mentioned before, the novel involves the Philadelphia art scene. So I plan visits to the Philadelphia Art Museum, the Barnes Foundation, the Franklin Institute and perhaps the Acadmey of Nature Science. On Sunday or Monday, I plan to spend the better part of the day at the central office of the Philadelphia Free Library looking up material on Albert Barnes.

Also I have started compiling a list of people I will try to talk to, although some of those conversations will happen over the phone.

I have already decided on who will be murdered first in the novel and thus whose death will get things rolling. I even have a vague idea as to why she is killed and on whose orders the murder was committed. But I haven't nailed down the complete story or the plot. There is still coming together.

This is my Fall 2008 project and perhaps I will finish the first draft by New Year's. If not, it will get done over the winter.

I am excited about this. It will be the second in the series of books about Jason Crown.

I wish I had done this novel several years ago __ when the conversation of how to save the Barnes and about moving the Barnes gallery into Center City __ but such is life.

Thanks for reading and Write On.

No comments: