Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rejections

I got the first of my rejections for "Death at the Jungle-bunny Journal" yesterday, and she was quite nice, actually. It was almost encouraging.

Here are the first two grafs of my query, followed by her response:

Courier-Times owner/Publisher George Wilson was a tyrant. He was nearly as indiscreet as he was sexually promiscuous. This dismissive father and neglectful husband was more feared than liked. And now Wilson is dead and investigative reporter Jason Crown must piece together his murder.

Jason discovers the victim's long-held family secret -- a secret in which money, power and revenge collide. And it doesn't help when Jason begins to fall for one of the sexy suspects. As Jason comes to terms with his personal feelings, he must find the killer or risk becoming the next victim in “Death at the Jungle-bunny Journal.”
---
Thank you so much for giving XXXXXXXX a chance to consider your work. While I found your query intriguing, I’m afraid I wasn’t sufficiently enthusiastic to ask for more at this time. As I’m sure you know, publishing is a subjective business and it’s very likely you’ll find another agent who feels differently.

I wish you the best of luck and the greatest success.

____

The agent found the query "intriguing." That's what I'm looking for. I think I must be on the right track with the query. And I got a reply. She took the time to shoot me a short response. Not a lot of time but some time.

It's these sorts of rejections that can give a writer hope in the face of overwhelming odds. It gives a writer the strength to carry on. She is kind and considerate. It's why I like her as an agent. Too bad she's not my agent but . . . oh, well.

Keep the faith and keep writing. One day, it will pay off.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: