Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A new story

After dinner last night, I was talking to my friend Joel who suggested a story to me. Actually, it was the technical aspect of a story. And it was great. Joel is a scientist and it is something I wouldn't have thought of in a thousand years.

So I tossed and turned all night thinking of a short story plotline in which I could incorporate Joel's suggestion. But the hard part will be explaining it. It involves lots of numbers that will appear random but, when translated into a visual image, could be quite specific.

This is one of those times when some serious research will be required. I like research and I do some research in every story I write. Obviously, I can't know everything and I can't remember everything I once learned. But generally, I think you should write what you know, thus limiting -- to some degree -- the amount of research to be required.

I am out of my comfort zone on this one. But the possibility of learning something new -- or, more specifically, re-learning something I was taught in the fifth grade and delving into the subject in greater detail than I was ever taught -- is quite exciting. I don't have a handle on this yet but it is exciting.

So, that's my contribution for the day. Have a productive writing day. And thanks for reading.

No comments: