Friday, July 23, 2010

Always bring a pen

As a reporter, when I am going into an interview, I always follow a Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared! And when I talk to students about the craft of reporting and writing, I make a point of that.

As a journalist going out on an interview, I generally carry at least two, sharpened No. 4 pencils -- I prefer taking notes in pencil and I like my pencils to stay sharp, thus the choice of the harder lead No. 4 over the softer lead No. 2. It's hard to find them in retail outlets so I have to order them online -- one or two pens, and a reporter's notebook.

I have never liked relying on recording interviews but I have used recording devices from time to time, though no longer. But I always made sure the recorder was working before heading out and before I started to use it. I also carried extra batteries and I always still took notes in longhand.

Until recently, I always carried a reporter's notebook and a pen in the glove compartment of my car. Since I don't do daily journalism anymore, I stopped that but I still have paper and pen in the car in case I need to take notes.

So you'd think I'd be better prepared as an author. Not always.

Before I headed out last week to a book store for a booksigning for BEDLAM AT THE BRICKYARD, I make sure I had extra copies of the book in the trunk of my car, I had a handful of bookmarks, a 24-inch X 36-inch poster of the book cover and a bottle of water.

I thought of it five minutes before I left but in the end, I forgot to take a pen.

Now I ask you -- what sense does to make to go to a booksigning and not take a pen to sign some freakin' books? Yes, the store had some. One of the other authors let me borrow one of theirs. But going without a pen is just plain dumb.

It's a small detail but it is all about being prepared. I have learned a valuable lesson so heres some advice for you.

Always bring a pen!

Well, that's it this week for this aspiring author. Have a good weekend.

Thanks for reading, don't give up and always remember to take a pen.

No comments: