Saturday, August 7, 2010

Other writers' success



Sorry I have been away for a while but I was on vacation. I am back in the swing of things now and have several topics to discuss but the first is on the success of other writers.

I read three books while on vacation -- two girlie books (the latest in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich; and REMEMBER ME?, a funny and charming novel written several years by Sophie Kinsella) and a terrific debut novel by Harry Dolan.

BAD THINGS HAPPEN was published some time ago and while it was on my reading list, I hadn't gotten to it. Too bad for me. Harry's writing is witty, his characters are rich and full-bodied, and his plot is suspenseful. It was a delightful read.

I only know Harry online and through other online friends but he is a good writer and I'm happy he is experiencing some literary success.

Another wonderful writer I have met online is James King, who won ABNA last year (handily beating me, I might add). His debut, BILL WARRINGTON'S LAST CHANCE, was published this week. I went to the bookstore this afternoon to get a copy -- there were two, so my local Borders sold out 50 percent of its inventory.

(I will post pictures of both novels on my blog once I figure out how to get them off my phone and onto my laptop. I need my 16-year-old daughter to tell me how to do that and she is in cheer camp this weekend. GO WILDCATS!!!)

I have said this before but I love it when authors I know or have met online achieve some measure of success. While I still admit to some degree of jealousy, it is quite small in comparison to the encouragement I feel when yet another deserving author breaks through. I am humbled by Harry's writing and storytelling, and by James' imaginative story (I haven't read the book yet). But they both also remind me that success can come with talent, hard work and persistence.

So when I feel dispair or discouraged, James and Harry are there in spirit to tell me to stop feeling sorry for myself and to get back to work -- on improving my writing, on sending out queries, on networking with other authors and on learning more about the publishing industry.

Thank you, gentlemen. Well done. I hope and pray to follow in your footsteps. I am certainly working on it.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

James King said...

Thanks for the nice post, Michael.
Keep at it. If it can happen for me, it can happen for you!

MB Dabney said...

I am quite proud of your success, James, and that you made it through ABNA with your sanity intact. Good luck with the book.