Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Writing

I have a relative -- well, she's not actually a relative. She is the wife of one of my wife's first cousins. So in a way, she is sort of a cousin-in-law, if that exists in any sort of family relationship -- who is an educator but who wants to write a novel. Now that is a good thing. But there are literally millions of people who are thinking of writing a book and only a fraction of them ever start one and only a fraction of them finish.

Last fall at a family gathering, Jacqui described some of what she was thinking and it was interesting. The basic idea had some problems but it was certainly do-able. The closest genre category that it would fit into would be a cozy, but with some variation.

I have known Jacqui since we were all in college. My wife and I attended the wedding when she and her husband jumped the broom, which was the year before my wife and I got married. Nowadays, she told me, she is busy with work, in particular, but also with family and other stresses. And while she told me she is a bit of an insomniac -- she said for years she has gotten up at about 1 in the morning and can't get back to sleep for hours -- she said her life is so full at the moment it would be hard to write a book. So she intends to wait a while.

I was honest with her. I said she was making excuses -- good excuses, valid excuses. But they are excuses nonetheless. And I said most writers would kill to have several hours every day in which to write when NO ONE was likely to bother them. Who calls you or wants something from you at 2 in the morning? Only people half way around the world.

I truly think it is okay that she never writes her novel. I told her that, too. It's totally up to her. But I also said there will NEVER be the right time to do it. Ever since I have known her, she has been busy -- first with college, then with a husband and later with children (who are now grown) and work.

My point is, there is never a perfect time to write a book. To get the work done, you have to sacrifice time somewhere. In the March/April issue of Writer's Digest in the Questions & Quandaries section, Brian A. Klems said, in answer to a question, " . . . whatever it takes, you have to make the time to write. It's the one and only definitive prerequisite of being a writer."

I told Jacqui there will always be something in her life that is important to do other than write. But only she can decide writing has to be a priority. And when she does, she will start working on her book.

And finally, speaking of priorities, I intended to write this blog last night. I sat down, turned on the laptop at about 10 and . . . escaped into old auto racing videos on YouTube. I did that for two hours, at which time I had to go to bed. I knew I had a busy work schedule today and I needed the rest.

Again the lesson learned is that writing takes a dedication of time, but also it takes discipline. And it is the discipline that I still struggle with, not only in writing but in many other areas of my life. I think it will always be a struggle. I just have to force myself to do what it takes.

Well, that's it for now. Hope you had a good day. It was beautiful here.

Thanks for reading and don't give up.

No comments: