Friday, January 30, 2009

Sisters in Crime

I got a call yesterday from the president of my local chapter of Sisters in Crime. She said the newly elected chapter secretary was resigning for personal reasons and asked whether I'd be interested in serving in that capacity.

I had reservations that I did not express to her but on quick reflection, I agreed. The job doesn't take too much. I already attend all meetings. I will just have to take notes when I do.

Although it is not called as such, it is as reporting secretary and corresponding secretary because after I write up the minutes, I send them out to be read and do most of the correspondence of the chapter.

The Speed City chapter of Sisters in Crime is not that big, only 39 members currently, down five from last year, and six of the members are men. There is only one other black person that I have seen, although Jim, the owner of the bookstore where we meet, is a person of color. Does that count?

I am happy to serve because this organization has helped me so much in the past year. I have grown a lot as a writer and much of the credit goes to the members of the Speed City chapter of Sisters in Crime. They welcomed me with open arms and I appreciate it. I pledge to do the best I can for the chapter.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: