Monday, January 14, 2008

You are what you read

I am so thrilled I can hardly contain myself. No, I don’t have an agent yet. But what I do have is my February 2008 issue of Writer’s Digest. It came Saturday and I restrained myself from immediately going through it. I actually waited about an hour. (And I took it with me to the mall when Angela, the girls and I went shopping. I was just there as the eye candy and read while they tried on clothes.)

There are so many great articles in it, as usual, that I hardly know where to start. I know I will cover some of the issues mentioned in the magazine in the weeks to come.

But the lead series of articles is called, “Yes! You Can Write A Novel”. Just what I need to know. I haven’t really looked at the articles because I was busy working on Sunday after returning from church and then all day today. But I am going to read and concentrate on every word.

On Saturday I read a very amusing article in Inkwell on Page. 20. It was called “Stand Tall, Fellow Rejects!” Boy, I thought I had it bad when two e-mail query rejection letters came on the same day about a month ago. March 2007 was really a bummer for him. (I really liked the part where his rejection included being paid NOT to write. Now that’s rejection!)

On Page 35 there was a sidebar called “Blog Your Book”. Until then, I never thought one day I could turn these blog postings (or some of them, at least) into a book. How myopic I am.

There is so much in the magazine, such as the piece on metaphors, that it’s amazing. There is nothing else that I read on a regular basis that contains so much useful information. I haven’t finished this issue and I am already looking forward to the next one. It is a publication I recommend.

Anyway, thanks for reading and don’t give up on writing.

No comments: