Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A new book

I like to read, of course, although I am naturally selective about what I pick up. The first consideration is time, not interest. Will I have the time to devote to the material? Even if I am interested in it, it can get squeezed out by time restraint.

While I am busy at the moment, I picked up a new book today that I had been waiting for months to arrive. And I will devote the time to it.

It is the new John Grisham book, “The Appeal.” Until I ventured into the bookstore, I had no idea what it was about. I had purposely decided to remain ignorant.

I had been thinking about this new legal thriller since I started researching agents back in late September and happened to visit Grisham’s agent’s website. Though only a few months ago, the book at the time was still untitled, although it was slated for publication in February 2008. They must have gotten a lot done in a couple of months.

Unlike “The Broker,“ which was published two years ago and remains one of my favorites of Grisham, this book packs in a lot in the first couple of chapters. The Broker was slower in the beginning and I am wondering how Grisham is going to keep up the pace for more than 300 pages in this new offering.

It will be interesting to see.

While I was in the store, I saw a new murder mystery novel revolving around the Oscars. Good timing! And it looked good. That might be a good one to pick up next __ if I have the time.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: