Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What's in a name?

I’m starting a new novel in a couple of weeks and I still haven’t decided on how the victim dies, although most likely it will be from poison.

My problem at the moment, however, is names. It is a constant problem for me. I can’t figure out names. I change them all the time. For example, I changed the name last week of one of the characters in my first novel, which I finished months ago. I had to go back and search every mention or reference and change things.

My problem is that I sketch out a character long before I decide on a name. Then when I get to the point where I have to introduce them in the story I scramble to come up with the right name.

I love the name C.K. Dexter Haven, the character Cary Grant played in the film, “The Philadelphia Story.” The name was perfect for the character. And it is that sort of perfection I would like. But I never approach the naming of a character in a way that would likely result in that sort of perfection. The name is almost always an afterthought. As a result, I often go back and change names.

One of the things I try, however, is finding and cross-pollinating names in the credits of movies. Almost at random, for example, I use the first name of someone in the art department with the last name of the key grip. Or I use the first name of the director with the last name of one of the people who co-wrote one of the songs.

I come up with some interesting combinations and some I have even used.

As I start my next novel, I will see how interesting I can be and how close to perfection I can come.

But for now, thanks for reading and get back to work. Write!

No comments: