Monday, June 28, 2010

Gotta stop building a watch

Years ago, while I was working as a reporter at United Press International, a fellow reporter jokingly said whenever someone asks me the time, I tell them how to build a watch. I tell people more than they need to know.

I have always thought that was funny, though I have to admit he was right to some degree.

I got the same sort of comment last Saturday at my writing critique group. There are times when I just write too much. I take two paragraphs to say what I should say in one sentence. (A long sentence, I asked. No, was the reply.)

Sherita Campbell, a wonderful and funny little woman who would read Tarot cards for me if I'd let her, said I would increase the tension in my writing if sometimes I just got straight to the point by saying, "I walked in the room. There was a blond. I shot her."

I laughed -- it really is funny, don't you think? -- but I have also been trying to take it to heart. (Can't tell by this posting, though.)

Instead of telling someone how to build a watch, I will get to the point! -- and shoot someone.

Thanks, Steve Morgan (wherever you are) and Sherita Campbell.

No comments: