Friday, June 11, 2010

In support of NaNoWriMo

NOTE: I started writing this on Friday, June 11, and didn't finish until Monday, June 14. mbd

There are loads and loads of websites and blogs to read to keep up on the publishing industry and one of my favs is Nathan Bransford's blog. He seems totally plugged into and is knowledgeable about the industry, plus he is insightful, opinionated and straight-forward. I don't always agree with him but he does make me think.

I occasionally post a comment but since I can't get to his blog everyday the comments I post are generally several days after his initial posting. By the time I get around to commenting there are generally 130 comments ahead of me. So often I think, What's the point?

Occasionally I have the time to read more than a handful of comments posted in his blog and one last week particularly pissed me off.

Bransford's posting was about rejections and how difficult it is sending them. A reader comment near the bottom took a swipe at National Novel Writing Month.

The commentator implied that, when querying agents, those who participated in NaNoWriMo just sent raw first-draft material in hopes of attracting a potential agent. And he implied that since NaNoWriMo first drafts were so raw, those taking part would have done themselves better if they had taken more time to write in the first place.

That is utter BS.

First, I met a lot of people last November during NaNoWriMo, both in person and online, and without exception they knew what they were writing was only a draft and that it would need many more drafts and much more polish before they could think of submitting it to anyone.

Second, a first draft is a first draft regardless of how long it takes to write it. My first draft of FIGHTING CHAOS, which took me 20 years to write, isn't as good as the first draft of AN UNTIDY AFFAIR, which took less than 20 days. The difference was a function of my growth as a writer not a result of the time it took to write. And in both cases, they were first drafts and far from being ready to show anyone, even my family.

NaNoWriMo does two things great. It encourages people to write and gives them the freedom to do it, and it connects writers with other writers doing the same thing. There is encouragement and support, and a kind of fellowship that spurs you on to achieve your writing goals.

It's too bad that not everyone understands that. If they did, perhaps, just perhaps, they would be a little less judgmental.

Tomorrow, I will try to post something about last Saturday's book signing, and include some pictures. Until then, thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: