Saturday, June 5, 2010

I couldn't see

I am generally very careful about my reading glasses -- when I carry them out of the house, where I take them, when I wear them and where I put them down. And the reason is simple. They are the only pair I have. Since I started wearing reading glasses more than a decade ago, this is my favorite pair.

When I moved back to the Midwest from Philadelphia in January 2002, it was in the middle of the school year and we had not sold our house. So it was months before the family -- wife and daughters -- moved here. During that time, my oldest daughter was reading Harry Potter. I wasn't into Potter (though I certainly am now) but I promised to read the books and we'd talk about them on the phone in the evenings.

One week after I got here, I accidentally stepped on my eyeglasses which had fallen out of my shirt pocket. Given that I was an editor and needed them to read, I went to an eye doctor the next day. The frames I loved best happened to be Harry Potter frames. I considered not getting them but I did love the glasses.

I have used the same frames for the last eight years.

Last week at a black journalist meeting I left my eyes on the conference room table at the television station where we were meeting. I didn't notice it until later that evening when I got home. But it meant when I was writing on Friday, I had to increase the print size on my computer screen to 125 percent of normal. Otherwise, I'd have a hard time seeing.

Seeing what you are writing is an important aspect of writing and one that I suggest all writers accomplish. And I know this is a pretty weak blog posting. I had intended to blog about the word choices on Friday but I had a hard time seeing. So today I decided on a little whimsy.

Sue it!

But in the meantime, have a nice day. Thanks for reading and get back to writing.

No comments: