Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Research

While I am still working on THE DEATH OF ART, I know the novel I'd like to write in November for National Novel Writing Month. (I think the title will be IN SEARCH FOR A DRINK OF MILK or THE STRUGGLE FOR A DRINK OF MILK. I like the former but the latter better describes the situation the hero will face.) And, like with DOA, it will take some research.

So I have started researching my next novel.

The story involves racing and while I love racing and have a workman's knowledge and understanding of the sport, there is a lot a don't know or understand. I don't intend to be too technical in the novel -- it's a general read not genre fiction -- but to have credibilty, I need to have a better understanding of the technical aspects of racing than I currently have.

(The story is about the challenges a drive faces in returning to the sport following a devastating and near-fatal accident. And, given the sad news from Hungary from over the weekend, I now intend to pay particular attention to Felipe Massa's recovery from head injuries.)

I can't go into specifics about spring settings or mechnical down force but I will have to know what they mean even if I don't bring them up. It's important -- crucial, really -- to have a solid grasp of knowledge on your subject before you write about it.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: