Friday, July 31, 2009

Listening to music

I can't remember if I have written about this before but I love listening to music when I write. It puts me in the mood. Generally I go for instrumental music so that the vocals don't intrude and distract me. But there are some vocals I love to hear even when I write. They set a good mood without being distracting.

One of those selections is "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn. I love the song. It is imaginative and creative. And it makes me want to write better, to be better.

There are some art forms that inspire me to do better. Good writing is one, of course. Paintings, particularly Impressionism, can have that affect. But the thing that gets me going the most is music. The genius is so apparent, particularly for someone as thick as me.

So right now I am listening to "Walking" because it is a beautiful song. And it reminds me of my only visit to Memphis four years ago. I attended an NABJ regional convention and monitored a debate between candidates for president of NABJ.

But what was so wonderful about the trip is that I drove down to Memphis with a very special young college student whose name is a perfect description of her -- Special.

Though Special was attending college in suburban Indianapolis and I met her when I went there to talk to a group of communication students, she is from Memphis. And during the time I was there, Special and her mom drove me around one afternoon and showed me the sights. Graceland. The Lorraine Motel. The old Stax studio. Beale Street. We even went into Mississippi.

So when I listen to "Walking in Memphis" I think of the time I was walking in Memphis. The song touches me in some ways that others do not.

I feel inspired and write faster than normal. And right now, as I am working on finishing a first draft of THE DEATH OF ART, writing fast and getting it all down is the primary goal. Making it good is the goal of later drafts.

That is what music does for me. What does it do for you?

Thanks for reading. Listen to music and keep writing.

No comments: