Saturday, February 21, 2009

Writing style, and an embarrassment

I was reading my Writer's Digest today and I learned something, which, of course, is a good thing. There is something called "The Chicago Manual of Style."

As I have mentioned before, I am a member of a critique group in my local chapter of Sisters in Crime and have been reading material from the other members for the last 10 months. Also, since entering the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest, I have been reading excerpts written by other entrants. And I have been amazed at the style other people use. In many cases, it is very different from what I am used to, particularly when it comes to numbers and when to write them out and when to use numerals.

I am used to AP style. As a journalist, wire service style is the standard in the newspaper industry. Yes, it can vary a little from paper to paper. For example, at The Philadelphia Tribune, which is a Black newspaper, the word black is always capitalized when it refers to African Americans. But the basic style remains the same.

Since I had never heard of the Chicago Manual style, I haven't used it, although apparently it is used in the book industry. So I will have to investigate what it is, how to get a copy of what the style is and perhaps get a copy of the style book. Apparently, according to the article in WD, editors and publishers also recognize AP style but it must not be the first style used.

The most important thing mentioned in WD is that whatever style is used, it should be consistent. And that I agree with.

And on to another subject, when I logged in today, I noticed I got a comment from my last posting. It wasn't one of my best because I was angry and frustrated at the time I wrote it. But what does it matter? Only me (or is it I?) and a couple of my friends ever read this blog.

But I was totally bowed over to see it was from writer Chris Roerden. How in the world did she ever hear of this blog? And why in the world did she have to read that one? I felt so embarrassed. She must think I am a hack. (She wouldn't be the first.)

And I would go back and edit that posting but I may not. Mostly I want to remember what I was thinking and how I was thinking when I look back on my postings. The way it is is probably the best indication of that. But if other people start reading it . . .

Thanks for tuning in Chris. I look forward to meeting you at the convention in October.

Thanks to everyone else for reading and don't give up on writing.

No comments: