Friday, February 6, 2009

Discussion boards

There is something I have long known; I'm not good on discussion boards and forums.

The problem with such networking is that, for me, it is addictive. I get on, I read and read and read, commenting here and there, and don't get any work done. Or don't get as much done.

That's what's beginning to happen with me on the ABNA boards. I am looking and looking for comments, whether they are helpful or useful or not, and spending more time doing it.

I am doing more reading about writing and doing less writing.

It's the same with other social networking sites, such as My Space and Facebook. I have less than 30 friends on Facebook and it is still hard for me to keep up with them all. If I tried, all I would be doing is reading.

Connecting with other authors is very important and I take it seriously. And discussion boards is a way of connecting to a broad range of people and their ideas. My writing today is better than it was last year at this time because I have talked with and listened to other writers. But in the end, I still have to write and not let other aspects of the job of writing get in the way.

I have to find a balance when it comes to taking part in discussion boards. Otherwise, I will only dream of being a published author instead of doing what is necessary to become a published author.

Just a thought . . .

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: