Friday, February 27, 2009

A good day

I had a good day today. I felt like a writer. Not that I don't feel like a writer most of the time but today was a particularly productive day.

I reread the writing of two authors in my critique group who are due for critiques. And while haven't yet written the critiques, which are due tomorrow, I feel I have them well in hand. I sent out several e-mails to Sisters in Crime members regarding tomorrow's meeting and I feel am ready for tomorrow's meeting. It will be my first as secretary. Better take a couple of sharpened pencils. (I like taking notes in pencil.)

I got an e-mail regarding a two-day mini-conference in May that has a fellowship for new authors with works in progress. The deadline for applying for a fellowship in mid-March and requires roughly 1,000 words of a work in progress and a one-page synopsis. So, I took the first chapter of "The Death of Art," which is 2,300 words without the ending with the guy in the BMW. And I cut that chapter down to a mere 1,085 words without destroying it. I will eventually use most of the material I cut but it was good to edit it and see it was still good.

I started to seriously work on the three- to -five-page synopsis I need for my pitch session next Saturday. I already have some of it and I am expanding it and it is going reasonably well. I decided I just need to relax and tell the story. Everything else will work itself out.

I got two good freelance jobs today, including one that could lead to some on-going work.

And finally, I got a rejection e-mail today. But it was kind and considerate, and it didn't upset me too much. Really, it didn't upset me at all. I sent back a quick thank you and marked the agent off my list.

So it was, overall, a good day to be a writer and a good day to be alive.

Thanks for reading. Have a good day and don't give up on writing.

No comments: