Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fonts

I have just spent an hour viewing a writers discussion on a forum on the subject of fonts. The concensus was that it is best to use Courier New (doubled spaced, with 12-point type and 1-inch margins) instead of Times New Roman. The thought is that it is easier on the eyes to read and gives you a better page count, which is important to publishers. (Editors look for word counts but publishers pay the most attention to page count because paper cost more that ink.)

I have always perferred Times but I converted an earlier version of "Death at the Jungle-bunny Journal" into Courier and saw a huge difference. For one, I must not have my margins set correctly. The 74,300 words of that version should fit in slightly more than 297 pages (doubled-spaced, 12-point, 1-inch margins) because there should be 250 words per page. But I have 326 pages, or about 227 words per page.

The other difference is readability. Courier is easier on the eye sight, although I still prefer the look of Times.

I am still working on the final draft of Jungle-bunny, most specifically reworking the opening to make it more compelling. It is in Times, of course, but tomorrow I plan to convert it and fix the margins. In that way, I will be more prepared to taking the next step in the publishing process.

Thanks for reading and don't give up on writing.

No comments: