Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What's next?

That is an interesting question. What's next?

Given that I am 75 percent through my current novel, I have to start thinking about the next step. First I will go through it and try to clean in up, add anything that I need to research, fix any continuity problems and specifically consider who to have read it. I am pretty certain I will ask at least one of two writers in my writers group. Perhaps both.

And the rewriting will begin.

But the search for an agent for this book will also begin. Assuming that the first draft of the book is done by then, I should have my query letter for the book written by mid-June. And after I vet it with a couple of writers, I should start sending it out by late June.

I will take a different approach to this letter than I did for the letter for "Fighting Chaos." I plan to write it like it the blurb for a movie. Then I will add some background on me. I hope to catch an agent's eye immediately.

In addition, I hope to attend a conference in late July and perhaps connect with an agent there. But that is still months ago. What is important is that I am thinking about such things and planning.

It doesn't, however, answer my first question. What next? I am thinking about tackling a non-fiction book teen drug addiction. It will be a shorter book than the fiction I have written and will require far more research, reporting and interviewing. But that is what is currently in my mind.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: