Saturday, April 26, 2008

Critiques

I joined a writers group last month and have read a couple of chapters of three other authors in the last month. It has been very helpful in seeing how other writers work and how they produce. All of the others are in my local chapter of Sisters in Crime and they are published.

What is good about being in the group is that I see that I'm not suffering alone with plot, character development and dialogue. And that is a huge help.

And today, for the first time, I got feedback on the first two chapters of "Death at the Jungle-bunny Journal." The comments were generally positive and provided a perspective that I just can't get alone at my laptop.

Some of the more minor suggestions I will implement immediately by doing a search and replace throughout the text. But others will require some hard thinking on my part. For the latter, I will let the comment in my brain until I start my second draft and consider them in my detail then.

One such suggestion is that I switch the order of the first two chapters. That may work but then it may also relay the real narrative of the story.

Like I said __ it will require some hard thinking.

However, that is always good. It is difficult, if not impossible, to get out of one's skin and look objectively at one's work.

Well, that's all for the moment. Sorry I haven't written more this week. I promise to get back on the stick next week.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: