Thursday, April 17, 2008

POV

I am a journalist by both training and occupation. And for virtually my entire career as an editor and as a reporter, I have approached writing from one point of view __ third person. As far as I can remember, I have written fewer than a hand full of news or feature stories in first person. The only real exceptions were when I was on a newspaper's editorial staff and wrote editorials but those, while in first person, were plural, not singular.

(I did write three first person stories for United Press International __ two on racing and one at the Franklin Institute when I took part in an egg experiment. And I really got into each story and enjoyed them tremendously.)

Thus when I started writing fiction I never gave any real thought to writing a story in first person. Frankly, the prospect of writing in first person terrified me.

Some say the first-person narrative is easier to write and as well as easier to read. I don't know about the former but the latter isn't true for me. When reading, I find first-person narrative distracting. I immediately note that it is from only one person's POV and often wonder what is going on that the protagonist (and the author) don't see.

But I am also amazed that writers can pull it off successfully. It can often provide the character a stronger voice. Two of the three critiques I have done for the writers group to which I belong were in first person. And though I found some fault with their writing (that's the editor in me), it wasn't because of the POV.

I think the third-person narrative fits me because of my ego. As the author, I am the god of the universe in which my characters live. If they prayed, in effect, it would be to me. In my narratives, I know everything that any character does or thinks. I generally know it before they do, although they do sometimes surprise me.

But most importantly, it is how I have always written.

One day, when I decide to be brave, I may write some fiction in first person, just to give it a try. I think I will try a short story first, however. But for the most part, you will generally see me in third-person narrative.

Thanks for reading, enjoy your day and don't forget to keep writing.

No comments: