Saturday, December 22, 2007

Use of the N-word

In my novel, “Fighting Chaos,” I was writing a non-American character in his sixties who was drinking heavily in an English pub and talking to one of his mates. Then, suddenly, an issue came up. As I was writing the dialogue, I realized he was going to use the N-word.

Though I had already used numerous curse words throughout the novel, I realized this one could prove problematic. There is a great deal of sensitivity, controversy and disagreement about the use of the N-word in the African American community. Virtually the only agreement is that its use by someone outside the community is absolutely and definitely offensive.

I’m no prude in real life. But neither am I a sailor. So what was I to do, particularly since I had not developed an over-reaching policy for the use of curse words, in general, in my fiction? I decided that use of curse words would depend on the context and the content.

I decided never to use any word, regardless of context, that would offend me, either morally or ethically. I generally wouldn’t use a curse word outside of a quote as long as a better word exists. And I would only use a curse word in a quote if it fit both the character and context in which they were using it. In other words, the use of curse words would not be gratuitous.

In the case of the character in the novel, given his age, nationality, the time and place in which he lived, and the context in which he was speaking, it was apparent to me that he would use the N-word. Actually, it would be surprising that he didn't.

So that’s my thinking at the moment. Only time will tell as to whether I will need to change my thinking.

I hope this helps someone. Either way, thanks for reading, keep positive and keep writing.

No comments: