Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Having a good editor

What is the role of an editor? As a writer, I ask myself that. But in reality __ and as a former newspaper editor __ I think the answer is simple. The role of the editor is to insure clear, crisp writing and ultimately to make the writer look good.

I venture that no one outside of a writing community ever looks at a piece of writing, be it a newspaper or magazine article, a screenplay or a book, and thinks, “Uh, whoever edited this is an idiot.” No. They think, “Whoever wrote this is an idiot.”

It’s the writer whose name is out there not the editor. Yet in all my years as a journalist, I have never seen a writer whose work wasn’t improved with good editing. EVER!

All writers __ good and bad __ edit themselves. It's part of the writing process. I edited this blog several times before I decided to post it. In fact, in my first stab at editing it I eliminated the first three paragraphs.

A writer needs that second, third or fourth pair of eyes. They often see things the writer misses, like verbosity and vagueness.

Two of my favorite writers are very successful and undoubtedly very powerful but could also use tighter editing. And they probably don't get it because they are rich and powerful. One of these authors published a book a couple of years ago that was a bloated mess that I had difficulty getting through. The story was a mess and the telling was a mess.

Editing is a difficult balancing act and editors generally have a thankless task but it is a necessary task. All writers need it.

I think my novel is good. It is a good story, it is told well and the writing is good. But I probably have gotten it as far as I can get it without good, judicious editing. It can be improved. I am sure of it. It is a job a good editor and I can do together, and I look forward to it.

That's the role of the editor.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: