Wednesday, August 11, 2010

NaNoWriMo

I write occasionally for an alternative weekly newspaper called NUVO, and while I haven't gone to one of their weekly budget meetings for a number of months I went today. And as I was chatting with one of their contributing editors, who is also a playwright, the topic changed to my novel writing.

Now the editorial people at NUVO pride themselves as much for their literary knowledge as they do for their liberal politics. But to my amazement, they had never heard of National Novel Writing Month. And I don't think it was a simple matter of snobbery.

I mentioned that I wrote the first draft of my latest novel, AN UNTIDY AFFAIR, in 19 days last November during NaNoWriMo. David, the playwright, was impressed. (And he is a man I like to impress, by the way. Though too liberal for my tastes, he is a great writer, both knowledgeable and insightful.)

He suggested I write a journal this November as I work on my next novel and use it for an article for the newspaper. I had never thought of that but the prospect scares the hell out of me.

Just writing the novel will be hard enough. But also keeping a daily journal of my experiences would probably overtax me and drive me insane. But I agreed to think about it. November isn't for another two-and-a-half months so there is plenty of time to hash out some of the details, not the least of which being what novel I will write. Yet the idea is interesting. As part of my new critique group, I am doing a panel discussion at a local library on how to do NaNoWriMo. This could be part of that overall experience.

So I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew because I don't want to burn my candle on both ends. (A Larry Bird in the hand is worth two in a [George] bush and a rolling gathers no Kate Moss! Enough already!)

I think I will do it. But heaven help me when I do.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

2 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

You can do it Michael, just keep the journaling short and sweet and concentrate on the NANO work. Three or four lines at best should cover it.

Ah, NANO...to do or not to do?

Sharyn/Torie said...

I was also going to suggest keeping it real short. I remember talking to you during that time and I was so impressed by your work ethic and focus. If NUVO was an Internet publication, a video journal of your experience would be great and much easier. Kind of like a daily night note that you taped before going to bed.