Saturday, June 13, 2009

What's in a name, Part IV

I love Writer’s Digest, as you already know. Each issue is terrific and I always think it can’t be topped. Then the next issue arrives and it tops the previous one.

This latest issue is no different. The main articles are on Publishing 101: Your publishing survival guide. And while I will mine a number of topics from this issue for my blog in the coming days and weeks, what I am focusing on today is on Page. 44.

I have brought this subject up before, several times, in fact. And I have tried to rely on my best artistic judgment on what is fundamentally a marketing issue. It is the title of my book.

The No. 7 point of the WD article that starts on Page 42 is: Stake a claim on your title before “they” can get at it.

Back in late January in a fit of caution, I decided to change the name of my novel from DEATH AT THE JUNGLE-BUNNY JOURNAL to A MURDEROUS DISPATCH. To accommodate the title, I even went back and changed the name of the newspaper in the novel from the Courier-Times to the Daily Dispatch. But the more I contemplate it, the more I believe the title change was wrong.

Patricia Holt, the writer of the WD article, stated upfront that “the title is your first opportunity to market the book . . . ” It can be risky and potentially controversial. But standing out is not a bad thing. Being timid is.

“If the title is so startling or catchy or provocative that it makes a person want to reach for the book and start reading, you have a beaut” of a title, Holt writes.

Jungle-bunny Journal does that. It pops. It stands out. It could be controversial but it is not a wallflower. It is not a title that will be ignored. So what does A MURDEROUS DISPATCH say? No much, other than the book is about a murder and the writer is redundant.

I still don’t know if, as a title, Jungle-bunny Journal will get me an agent or a publisher. I have no real evidence of it so far. But I have no evidence that Murderous Dispatch will either. So I’m going to do what I should have always been doing -- trusting my judgment.

I like DEATH AT THE JUNGLE-BUNNY JOURNAL. I always have. So, I’m going back to that until some publisher or their marketing guru convinces me otherwise.

Thanks for reading. Trust your judgment and don’t give up on writing.

No comments: