Wednesday, June 17, 2009

First things first

While reading the current issue of Writer’s Digest, I was reminded of one of the most basic facts of life -- First things first. It is a simple concept and yet people in all sorts of situations get it wrong, writers included. (Not me, of course!)

And that is undoubtedly why Jerry D. Simmons brought it up in his WD article, “Your Step-by-step Guide to the Publishing Process.” What he was talking about was researching the publishing market by regularly going to the bookstore and browsing the aisles. As he says, “bookstores are laboratories for marketing and selling books.”

The closest large bookstore to my home is a Borders situated at the entrance of one of the largest malls in the city where I live. It is big and roomy, and with a number of comfortable places to sit and read quietly. But as an aspiring author, its size and diversity of offerings appeal to me less than a much, much smaller mystery bookstore about 20 minutes from home.

The owner of the mystery bookstore knows all about the market for mystery books because it is his bread and butter. Browsing his shelves and talking to him gives me a much better understanding of the market than visiting my local Borders or Barnes and Noble. Don’t get me wrong, I go to those other stores and check out the displays, and note how many books of a certain title are available and how they are placed.

But visiting the smaller store helps me better understand where my book would appear on a bookshelf, whether of a larger retailer or a smaller one. Since publishing is a business and the marketing of a book falls heavily on the author, you have to know your demographic.

I don’t think I impress potential agents enough of my knowledge of the market and where I fit in it. Informing an agent of my understanding of the market will be a major goal as I move forward.

If I am doing first things first and want to stand out from the crowd, I have to let someone know it.

Thanks for reading and don’t give up on writing.

No comments: