Monday, June 8, 2009

Making money on a book

So, I'm reading this book and it is one of the best books I have ever read. (Not really, but I like to say that.) I just discovered it. Actually, it was a gift from my sister-in-law. And it shows people can make money off of nearly any good idea.

It is by Christian Lander and it's called "Stuff White People Like." It's brilliant on several levels.

First and foremost, it is brilliant because it is funny and amusing and informative. There are some things black folks just can never understand about white folks. This examines that.

But secondly, the book fits a previously unknown market niche and thus Lander can make money on something as silly as "Stuff White People Like." I wish I had thought of it, although as a black person, I've been called a racist for writing it.

(Frankly, I don't think blacks can be racist but that is a discussion for some other blog. This blog is about writing.)

The book is just funny and enjoyable to read. And that, along with being informative, is what books should be about.

Another wonderful book I am reading is "As They See 'Em" by Bruce Weber.

Weber is a writer for the New York Times -- I think he is doing obits now -- and his book is a wonder tale about a virtually unthoughtabout aspect of the American pasttime -- baseball umpires. You hardly ever see or think of an ump until you disagree with them. They have no support among fans and little from baseball players, coaches and management. And yet, the game would be nearly impossible without them.

Over the weekend, I was watching two games and there were close calls in both. And in each call, the ump was right. They do their jobs and generally do them well. I plan to pay more attention to umps in the future.

Just like with Lander, Weber found a niche and wrote about it. The book is truly informative, full of terrific descriptive detail and handsome writing. It is an enjoyable breeze to read.

On NPR this afternoon, I heard part of an interview by the wonderful Philadelphia Daily News writer Dave Davies with the author of a new book on Sachel Paige. Dave, whom I knew in passing when I was back in Philly, was well-informed and asked all the right questions. The writer, who I think was named Larry Time (I will have to look that up) seemed to know the subject well, although there was a level of passion about Paige and the times in which he lived and played that I think the author didn't have. At least it seemed so. Perhaps if he were black he might have achieved that deeper passion. I don't know. But hopefully a thoughtful child -- not talking about either of mine, of course -- will give me the book for Father's Day.

That's it for now. Glad to be back. Thanks for your patience and thanks for reading.

I will update you on my novel in a later post.

In the meantime, don't give up on writing.

No comments: