Friday, April 3, 2009

The right voice

First, I have to admit that I love Lorelei King, and I have for some time. I first noticed her in one of my favorite movies, NOTTING HILL. It was a small role -- she was Anna Scott's publicist -- but I enjoyed every minute she was on the screen. She has a fantastic voice, clear and unrushed. It is a believeable voice, a reassuring voice.

And, sometimes, it is the wrong voice.

My birthday was last week and as a present my wife and daughters bought me an audio version of Janet Evanovich's FEARLESS FOURTEEN, which, I think, is the latest book in her Stephanie Plum series. And, as I have said numerous times, I love the series.

I first discovered Janet Evanovich a year ago while we were on Spring Break vacation with the children. During our 10-hour drive to Philadelphia, we listened to the audio version of the fifth book, which was read by Debi Mazar, another fine actress. I haven't heard but three or four Plum books and they were read by Mazar or Lori Petty, with those read by Mazar being the best. She sounds like she has been to New Jersey, let alone Trenton, where the Plum series originates.

Which brings me back to King. She has, as I have said, a great voice but it is all wrong for Stephanie Plum. King sounds like she is from somewhere Connecticut, not from a working class area of Trenton. (The Internet Movie Database says she was born in Pennsylvania and I think she has worked a lot in Britain.) I have been to Trenton numerous times and have some feeling for the place. King's voice doesn't put me in that place.

The publisher's (or whoever's) choice of King caught my attention and got me thinking a lot about how important it is to have the right voice reading your book. I am a long way from that ever being a question, of course, but I don't think it is too early to put the thought in the back of my head.

I have a cousin named Eric who has worked for years in radio. It is so funny hearing him on the radio and then talking to him on the phone or in person. But he has a very professional voice and it is the sort of voice I'm pick to read my novel for an audio tape.

To me, his is the right voice. There is an ethnic quality to his voice without beating you over the head with it. It is strong, forceful and commanding without being overpowering, all qualities I try to show in my writing in both A MURDEROUS DISPATCH and THE DEATH OF ART.

I have not mentioned any of this to Eric yet. But if I ever have the opportunity to have an audio book, he is the first person I will call, if only for some advice and direction. Because after listening to a couple of hours of the wonderful Lorelei King reading as Stephanie Plum, I am more convinced than ever of the importance of finding the right voice.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: