Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dan Brown

The publishing world has been abuzz since yesterday's announcement that Dan Brown, author of the 2003 mega-bestseller THE DA VINCI CODE, will publish his next book in September. Readers for years have been waiting for another book from Brown, a reclusive man, it all appears. Years ago the word on the street was that Brown's next project would be on the Freemasons.

DA VINCI was a runaway bestseller. It sold more than 80 million copies worldwide, was on the New York Times bestseller list for a staggering 144 weeks (which is nearly three years), including 54 weeks (more than a year) at No. 1. So it seems a little strange that the first printing of his new book, THE LOST SYMBOL, will have only five million copies.

From what I have been reading, the book, which will again have Robert Langdon as the protag, isn't about Freemasons but about something else entirely. But there is no telling. Certainly, at this moment, neither the publisher nor the author are saying.

I think DA VINCI was the best of the books Brown has written. It took me months and months to get through ANGELS AND DEMONS. And I read the others and found them boring.

Borders is offering a 40 percent discount on pre-orders. Everyone seems to have high expectations for the book and for what it can do for the publishing industry.

I am, of course, glad a new book is coming out. I just wish some of that good fortune would filter down to me. I don't have a thriller as riveting as DA VINCI, but it is interesting, fun and well-written. And I know now that Brown is coming out, publishers, editors and agents will be looking that much harder for the next blockbuster.

And there is no reason it can't be me. I just have to get my marketing together to find an agent. I feel I am stuck on Step 1 1/2. But I know I just have to keep at it.

Good luck, Dan. I look forward to reading your book.

As for the rest, thanks for reading me and don't give up on writing.

No comments: