Tuesday, March 31, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Yes, I know it's half a year away and I need to finish THE DEATH OF ART first, I have already started some initial research for the novel I hope to write in November during National Novel Writing Month. (I think that's the correct title.) It's going to be an overcoming adversity tale involving a race car driver. So, it will be my first venture into general fiction.

Plus, while I was returning home yesterday from a brief vacation, I listened to the first book in the Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I love that series. It is wonderfully written, witty, fast-moving and descriptive. And, of course, it is in first-person.

So, again, I am toying with writing my November book in first-person. It is limiting, I think, but will allow me to explore my hero's interworkings more closely. Writing in first-person will definitely be outside my comfort zone but I'm not certain that is a good thing in this instance. I have six months to decide, however.

Anyway, racing. The driver will have a horrible accident near the beginning of the book and will have to fight to regain his confidence, both physically and mentally. That will be the challenge. That challenge will be the bad guy in the book. My hero will face stiff competition and challenges from people but his greatest challenge will be himself.

I have been reading up on racing and racing cars, which I already love, and have contacted a former driver I used to know who works for a racing team in town. I am hoping he will be able to provide me with a lot of the technical aspects of racing. The story won't be that technical, since it will be targeted to a general audience, but I will need to be solidly grounded with a technical understanding of racing, racing cars and racing drivers.

So that is my current plan for something to do in November. But it will depend on whether I finish DOA. I first need to concentrate on that.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: