Sunday, June 1, 2008

On being worried

I finished the first draft of my murder mystery yesterday, and I am excited and ready to get back to work on it. I am truly ready to start looking for an agent and I can't do that until the first couple of chapters have been worked over more.

I saw a fellow writer today during a booksigning and she reminded me I should let the novel rest for a while, one or two weeks, and come back to it with fresh eyes. But I generally lack that level of perspective. I doubt I will have that sort of perspective for months if not years. And I can't wait that long.

Is it any good? I have not earthly idea. How is the writing? I don't know. There are some sentences I particularly like __ (It said less than she intended and more than he expected.) Or (Life was no easier for the modern-day inhabitants of the houses than it had been for those generations earlier, except now they could watch their betters on stolen large screen televisions hooked up to illegal cable.) Or (She was followed by five other women whose varying body types made it impossible for any of them to look good in their dresses.) __ but is it possible to like every sentence? I don't know.

Is the story any good and do I give it justice? I don't know.

Those are all worries but there isn't much I can do about them. I just want to get back to having my hands in the middle of the novel. So I just might print it out tomorrow morning and start. Will that help? Will reading it straight through now and charging back into it then improve it? Who knows. I just know I am ready to get on with it.

At least I will be re-writing instead of writing. Oh well . . .

There are just a few random thoughts. Don't let it stop you from writing.

Good luck and thanks for reading.

No comments: