Saturday, March 9, 2013

What are you listening to?

I meant to write this on Friday but I had a writing assignment due and I just ran out of time.

For some time now, I have been listening to a single piece of music as I write. It's been about six weeks. The music is from Meet Joe Black, the thoroughly pedantic 1998 film starring Brad Pitt, who plays an extremely handsome Death, and Sir Anthony Hopkins, who plays an extremely rich businessman whom Death is about to take. (Yes, it does sound like a remake of the 1933 film, Death Takes a Holiday.)

Now, I like the idea of both movies -- death taking a day or two off. But Joe Black is maddeningly slow and a painful three hours in length. But I love the film. Yet for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Finally, it dawned on me. It's the music. Thomas Newman's soundtrack draws me in and makes the emotional connection that action on the screen often doesn't seem to do.

Specifically, I love That Next Place, the music that plays at the end of the film. The full version is more than 10 minutes long and I can play it comfortably in the background as I write. I can hear it but it doesn't distract.

Oddly enough, another shorter piece (not from the film) that I enjoy is -- wait for it! -- The Mission by John Williams. It is the theme for the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, although you only hear a few seconds of it at the end of broadcasts.

I like the music, for some reason, and can easily write when it is playing. Who knew?

What do you like to listen to when you write, or when you need something playing in the background? I'd love to know.

Thanks for reading. Hope you come back.

No comments: