Thursday, September 30, 2010

Word count

I need some advice from any writers out there.

My current murder mystery, AN UNTIDY AFFAIR, clocks in at just under 72,000 words. Is that too short? Do I need to bump it up, somehow, to more than 75,000 words, with a target of 80,000 to 85,000.

As a journalist, I have always believed that you should write the story until it's complete. It is better, and easier, to cut it down, than to try to pad it.

The novel is the length that it is because that is the length of the story. I'm not sure what to add in order to increase the length. I see the story as complete at just over 71,500 words.

Send me a comment below or send me an e-mail with your thoughts please. Thanks.

And thanks, as always, for reading.

1 comment:

Anne Gallagher said...

Between 65-100k is pretty much the word count for adult fiction, no matter the genre. Don't sweat the numbers. Like you said, write the story until it's done.

I think 71k is fine. You will always get feedback from either agent or editor whether it needs "something else". Don't second guess yourself now.

One thing though, is it "noir"? I know it's set in the 80's so maybe if you could find the definition of noir you might be able to use that in the query --it is a noir murder thriller --