Thursday, September 16, 2010

A class act



I piled the family in the car yesterday -- well, actually, the wifey and one of my two daughters -- and high-tailed down to Cincinnati for a book signing of my friend and fellow author James King. Got there just before the start.

Although we have communicated online, it was my first face-to-face with Jim, who is as friendly and courteous in person as he is over the Internet. A few of his peeps, some dating back as far as his high school days in Ohio, were also at the bookstore and were wonderful to meet.

It was a small but very attentive crowd. Jim read from his novel, BILL WARRINGTON'S LAST CHANCE, and answered questions about the book and about writing in general. I tried my best to keep the reporter in me at bay and not inundate him with questions.

The book is quite interesting and I had hoped to finish reading it before the book signing. But time and work conspired against me. I'm only just past the halfway point. No matter. He signed my copy and left me a terrific inscription.

But the thing that surprised and impressed me most was a simple gesture. And it wasn't even a gesture directed toward me.

The signing was over and my daughter Ericka and I were sitting and talking to Jim. Actually, I was boring the poor man about my kids. But he asked me whether she -- meaning Ericka -- would read the book. I said yes. She is a voracious reader and planned to read it as soon as I finished.

Jim turned around, grabbed a book from the table and autographed it for her and then went downstairs to pay for it.

I was stunned and pleased. It was such a kind and unexpected gesture. And he left such a wonderful message for her in the book. She was excited and used a book light in the car to read some of the book on the two-hour ride home.

I'm sure he made a new young fan. And I can certainly say James King is a classy guy.

If I ever get a book published and go on a book tour, I'm definitely going to make a stop in Wilton, Connecticut. And perhaps, just perhaps, make a small repayment on a simple, kind gesture.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: