Wednesday, March 24, 2010

ABNA

Well after the entry period had started, I decided this year to enter the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. I entered last year with DEATH AT THE JUNGLE-BUNNY JOURNAL, though I changed the title to A MURDEROUS DISPATCH. (I have since changed it back.)
The contest last year was a brutal experience that left me sad, depressed and somewhat angry, and not so much because I failed to advance far in the contest. Some of the comments in the threads were horrible and totally uncalled for. However, I met a number of truly amazing writers in ABNA, many of whom I still communicate with and consider my writing buddies.
I didn't want to have the same experience this year so I decided to submit AN UNTIDY AFFAIR under a pen name and vowed not to read the threads, at least not as often as last year. But I wasn't as enthusiastic about it this year as I was at the beginning of last year. I didn't want to expose my ego to the harsh political realities of the contest again. I didn't think it was worth it.
I went about preparing my entry before the deadline, which ended on (some date, I can't remember) or when they had 5,000 entries. All day of the deadline submission day, the submission period remained open. But at about 11:23 p.m., 37 minutes before the closing, I went to enter and the submission period had already ended.
I was a little down-hearted at the time but quickly got over it. Many friends entered and most made it into the quarter final round. The 250 semi-finalists were announced yesterday and a few good friends didn't make it.
However, what I admire about the friends I have through ABNA is that they are unfailingly supportive. Writing is a hard and lonely task, but knowing good writers who are on the same path -- some further along, some not -- is always a comfort and helps keep you going.
So, if you don't have any writing buddies get some. They will be an encouragement.
That is my advice for the day -- that, and listen to music that you love when you write.
Thanks for reading and don't give up on writing.

No comments: