Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On writing

So, I'm reading "Don't Murder Your Mystery" and it is proving to be very headful. One of the passages which I highlighted in the first chapter mentions that the goal of manuscript readers is to get through the pile and ". . . literary agent Noah Lukeman says that agents and publishers read 'solely with an eye to dismiss a manscript."

Further, it says, "The industry cannot afford to gamble on writers who are still developing their potential, who show little evidence of having studied the craft of the profession they aspire to, or who fail to reflect the preferences that publishers and agents state in their submission guidelines."

The book suggests that as a writer, one needs to perfect their writing and one of the best ways of doing that is to read many writers, but particularly writers you like. By reading a novel or short story that you like a second, third or fourth time, you move from wondering what is coming next to concentrating on that writers craft, their technique.

One of the things do is reread novels I love. So in many ways I copy some of their authors' techniques. What I apparently don't do well is mixing backstory into the story as it is developing. I tend to "dump" large portions of it in one place.

As I rewrite "Death at the Jungle-bunny Journal" and plan for "The Death of Art," I am working on moving the background more into the story as it develops.

That is one of the most insistent criticisms I get from my critique group. And curing it will help me in the development of the craft.

"Effective techniques . . . prepare you to give publishers what they are really looking for: good writing," the book says.

Nuf said.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: