Thursday, May 8, 2008

Motivation

When I was nearing completion of "Fighting Chaos," I got to a point where I had the end in sight but wasn't motivated to get there. I had a hard time writing. I found it confusing because I would have thought my motivation and writing output would have increased instead of decreased. I wanted to finish and I was near finishing but I had a hard time getting there, over that last hump.

I seem to be at that point now with "Death at the Jungle-bunny Journal." I am more than a week away from finishing __ probably three weeks __ but clearly the end is in sight. And yet, I have a hard time writing. I know of what action comes next in the book but I am having a hard time getting there. I still write or edit everyday (or do something related to being a novelist)but I am not writing enough.

Yes, I have excuses. I have been busy this week with a new writing client. And I am working to get more clients and increasubg my paycheack. But that doesn't occupy all my time 24/7. I have the time to work on the novel, if only in the late evenings before bed or the early morning hours before the day starts.

Yesterday, for example, I touched up some of the early parts of Jungle-bunny but I didn't add any new material. And the day before that I only wrote about 500 words. What is wrong with me?

Anyway, I need to untangle a few strings and then make sure that everything I originally intended to say in the novel has been said. And then I will be done.

I asked an author colleague of mine to read the novel after it is done. Then I have to consider whether to dramatically change anything. She once suggested I switch to a first person narrative, which I am not comfortable with doing, regardless of the time it would take to convert, and she suggested I open the novel with what is currently my second chapter.

I am not sure but I will certainly consider all such suggestions.

But before that, I have to finish. Finding the motivation to finish isn't easy. But until I find the motivation to finish, I am just a guy with a dream, not a completed work. So I will just have to dig deep, find the motivation and get back to work.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: