Monday, June 16, 2014

Well, I've been gone a while

Well, I've been gone a while. And yes, I know it's impossible to build an audience when you come and go so much. But, once again, I'm going to try to post regularly, though not every day.

So, what's been going on? Well, I wrote another David Blaise mystery novel in November during National Novel Writing Month. The novel, The Deadly Game, came in a bit short, at just over 51,000 words, but I met the challenge. Set in February 1984 in Philadelphia, it's a prequel to my first Blaise mystery, An Untidy Affair, which is set in May 1985.

I am in the process of re-writing and adding material to flesh out the story. Blaise has one main case and a smaller case to solve. But just over the last weekend, I started adding another bigger case, although not as large as the main case. This case will provide the primary sub-plot of the book.

I have already started giving it to my writing critique group, and they are ripped it apart. So much so that I hastened to remain them that the novel is still in its early stages. However, I plan to enter it in the 2015 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award competition.

And speaking of ABNA, I was a quarterfinalist this year, only getting eliminated in the semifinal round of 25. For the third straight year, I entered The Last Tontine Survivor, although this was the first year it advanced past the first round. I got two very good Vine reviews and a very positive Publisher's Weekly review, although the PW review clearly didn't rate high enough to advance the novel to the next round. But I must say, the competition in the Mystery/Thriller category was fierce this year.

In a day or so, I will post the reviews for you to read.

I'm still querying Affair, looking for either an agent or a publisher. But if I don't sell it by this fall, I will have to make some truly serious and difficult decisions.

But more on that later.

And one a personal note, one of my daughters moved to Virginia over the winter and, of course, the other attends college. So this fall, after college reopens, I will have a quiet house to myself all day to write.

Hooray for me!!

More later. Hope to see you and others  on this page soon.

Thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: